Salary and Negotiation Advice with Jean Leggett, career coach
[email protected] | www.jeanleggett.com
Will keep adding to this doc! Find more at #JeansJobTips on Twitter
Salaries and Negotiations
Consider doing this research in tandem with your job search - be aware of opportunities globally, within your specific industry and industry-adjacent fields
1. Know your needs and your bottom line
2. Research what the market will bear
3. Ask for your desired salary
Pre-Offer Tips, Research & Planning - Info
Salary Negotiation Prep Worksheet - Worksheet
* assess your needs - cost of living, relocation, expenses
* identify what you can leverage for more money! Your accomplishments, industry demand, offers
* What compromises are you willing to make?
* Compare your city to a new city Cost of Living
Understanding Stock Options as part of your offer
Articles and videos to review
Know the laws in your country/state
Recruiter: “How much would you like to get paid?”
YOUR ANSWER: “I’m happy to discuss this once I have more details of the role and responsibility. What is the salary range for this role?”
States where they must indicate the salary range on job postings: Colorado
States where you cannot be asked your previous salary: Colorado MA
Salary Comparisons for Tech, Games, Other
Comparably - Transparent Compensation & Culture
Tech salary comparison and negotiations - https://www.levels.fyi/
Design salaries - https://salary.design/
Salary spreadsheet with approx 50K entries for general salaries including games, tech - can search by company name, etc. Anonymous Salary Survey (Responses)
Game Dev Salaries
>>>>Game Dev Salaries - 2021 anonymized sheet
Sorted by Date Entered sooooo “save as” then sort by job title
Games companies that work from home
Compare salaries - https://www.gamesindustrysalarysurvey.com/ | http://fragyoupayme.com/
Salaries info from Australia | UK | Sweden | Czech Republic | Blizzard
UI/UX in Games salaries - UI/UX in Video Games - Salary Survey (results)
Game User Research Salary Survey
Negotiating Counter Offers
* Negotiate salary, paid time off, relocation, professional development, perks, etc
* YouTube search
* Negotiating a better salary for Tech Jobs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyn0CKPuPlA&ab_channel=Exponent
* Sample emails to negotiating below-average offers, offers below expectations, competing offers ********** Client got 27K just for asking! See below for sample
* Companies that specifically help you with negotiations (usually for 80K jobs and up) https://www.81cents.com/
>>>>YouTube Videos <<<<
1 hour in total - could result in thousands in lifetime earnings!
I’ve had clients use these tips to negotiate 5K to 40K in additional earnings, depending on their experience. Don’t leave money on the table.
* Salary Negotiation Tips to 40%+ Increase in your Earnings
* Got a job offer, still interviewing elsewhere - What now?!
* Can I Renegotiate Salary? I Low Balled My Salary Negotiation during the interview
I’m really excited about the offer and this project in particular, not to mention the chance to work for COMPANYNAME.
After interviewing with a few other companies in the area and getting a better sense of my value, I'm realizing my desired base salary would be XXXK. If the offer could be updated to match that (with the other benefits intact), I would be able to accept immediately.
I would be more than happy to hop on a phone call to talk it through if that would be helpful; I should be free most of the day today. Thank you again for this opportunity, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
How to resign gracefully
Sample resignation emails